Those of you who read my blog would know my views on Sinn Fein and PIRA. However there are some disturbing aspects of this case.
- Mairia was a republican
- She was related to Joe Cahill, a founder of the Provisional IRA and close friend of Adams
- The alleged rape took place in 1997
- The alleged internal inquiry or whatever one wants to call it, took place when Joe Cahill was still alive
- Would not Joe have wanted to protect his grand niece?
- She made no complaint until an unknown date , perhaps four to five years ago, Over ten years after the event.
- A decision to prosecute was made, therefore someone in the PPS thought that there was a reasonable prospect of success.
- It is alleged that the Director did not involve himself in the prosecutorial decision
- Mairia ultimately declined to give evidence against Martin Morris, the reason for this is not known
- Consequently he was [ rightly] acquitted
- She now wishes to make the same case in public and in the media which she was unwilling to make before a jury
- If we are ever to become a humane a sophisticated society, we need to observe the rule of law.
- Trial by media , even Nolan, is not the way to go.
Those rushing to judgement for whatever their personal beliefs ought to consider these matters.